Thursday, November 24, 2011

Clearing the workbench

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I had some time today before we visited family for Thanksgiving dinner so I decided to clear off the workbench by completing a few projects that I have moved 4 or 5 (dozen) times. First, I renumbered a duplicate PRR boxcar. I had some old decals that would match so I carefully cut out three new numbers (743) and watched them dissolve in the water! Hmmm. Guess 25+ years in the drawer will do that to decals. I once read a trick is to spray them with Dullcote to extend their life ... add that to the next train show list! I ended up with a 7, partial 4, and after two attempts freehand painted the 3! Oh, and on one side of the car only .. fortunately I do not have a loop or wye on the layout.

Next, I scratch built a coal bunker from scale 4"x6" and 6"x6" lumber. Once it drys, I'll stain it, weather it and then place it on the layout behind Dailey's Coal and Fuel Oil with a mound of coal and a front loader (add THAT to the shopping list!) and this scene will be complete!

I had a couple more cars on the bench to finish. I started working on the H33 covered hopper car. I very quickly realized the instruction sheet I had in the box was not correct. Ploughing ahead, I was missing several key pieces and had glued two pieces in the wrong order. Other than that ... I put that box back in the rolling stock kit drawer. Hey, I've waited 5 or 8 years to finish that project, what's another few?

Building the Red Caboose P&LE boxcar was much smoother. I had instructions ... and the right ones! This is a pretty detailed kit and I was gluing individual grab irons, stirrups and brake lines. While I appreciate the level of detail in a kit like this, I also no that even I won't notice it once I have it on the layout, and I doubt others will either.I think I prefer the kits where you add a brake wheel, the trucks and couplers ... then run it on the layout!

Overall a good thanksgiving ... and I have some space back on the workbench. For the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment