Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesday Progress

I made some serious progress tonight, but first an observation.

Insulators on HO scale telephone poles are small. Really, really small. Ten per crosspiece, 36 crosspieces ... lots of little insulators to paint green. Yes, I painted 360 insulators green and 36 vertical supports white. I picked up these Rix Products telephones at T&K Hobby a few weeks ago for along the Route 30 overpass. I decided I wanted to get them ready tonight ... right after my left arm took out the one detailed telephone that was actually mounted on the layout. Grrrrrrr.

The telephone pole calamity happened because I was running trains back and forth and I solved one of the problems we had with the 3 operator scenario on Sunday. I need a timetable. I know this sounds obvious but I realized the best way for the mainline operators to work is to know ahead of time (1) through or local freight and (2) who goes next. Following the PRR rules of eastbound trains having superiority, I determined tonight that we can start the operating session with a westbound through or local from Greensburg that has to layover in the Irwin yard passing siding until the westbound through train from Pittsburgh passes. If its a local (still working this part out), he can drop some cars and continue on to Pittsburgh.

I need to work out each aspect of the operations in isolation and then when Eric and Jack are here, we can connect the sequence. I have a plan! I also did a little research tonight - really, just started this part - into some real freight trains from the PRR circa 1955-ish. For example, there was an eastbound Cincinnati, OH to Enola yard (Harrisburg, PA area) train with the symbol CIN-2 and known as "The Captivator". In the opposite direction, CIN-2 or "The Rocket" ran westbound from Enola to Cincinnati. I think with names and a specified sequence, the operating session will only get better.

And I was doing more tonight. Basically, I dabbled here and there. There is now a roof mounted tank on LAS Fabrics and two fuel oil tanks at Dailey's Coal and Fuel Oil. In fact, around Dailey's I completed a stone road to the building  and fixed some of the grass area. I only need to build the partial coal bunker and this little scene will be complete.

And on the other side of the layout, I added some details to Vic's Bait & Tackle scene. I had added a short stair case a couple of weeks ago and finished the gravel road and parking area. I added a girl sitting on a bench on the porch with a six pack of soda at her feet and a kerosene pump and propane tank around the building. I completed the grass and dirt scenery and started added some bushes, trees and a couple of tree stumps. I have an outhouse kit that I need to build, plus more trees and bushes and this scene will be done. Well ... almost done. I decide to give the impression of a barn yard between this scene and LAS Fabrics so I want to added a split rail fence and finish weathering the B&O trestle bridge - which Vic's sits in the shadow of - and THEN it will be complete.

I think I can call tonight progress. Stay tuned, I think I will get some serious work done this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment