Friday, December 23, 2011

Vic's Bait & Tackle - A Complete Scene

Today, I finished Vic's Bait & Tackle scene. I had built the building some time ago and placed it on the layout. The scene sort of developed from there. Named after my friend and co-worker, Vic W., who lives on the east coast and loves to fish,  I finally finished the supporting scenery adding trees, outhouses, and the fishermen Vic picked up from a hobby shop near his house.
East end of Irwin Yard
In the first photo, taken from the Irwin Yard looking eastward, we see the Irwin switcher pulling a set of hopper cars probably heading under the B&O bridge and taking them to the Westmoreland Coal Company mine in Herminie. One of the through freights, led by GP-7 #8805, is passing LAS Fabrics heading towards East McKeesport and then Pittsburgh. Just past the caboose, and in the shadow of the B&O bridge, you can see Vic's.
 In this view, you can see the details of the scene. The fishermen are swapping stories before they head to Keystone Lake which is down the road behind the yellow sedan. That's Vic on the hillside, practicing his casting with a new fly fishing pole. Gotta be able to tell the customers how it handles! Sitting on the porch, a young lady enjoys a Coca Cola, from the six pack at her feet. Behind Vic's you can see the his and hers (Goose and Gander) out houses. I found this Durango Press wood kit at T & K Hobby back in September and I knew that I HAD to add it to the scene. I finished it this morning, as well as the trees I needed and started putting it all together.
I had planned to add the trees and take a picture but the ground between the tracks was still bare so I added some grass. Well, the area between this scene and LAS Fabrics needs some grass too. And the end of the Irwin yard area looked really bare. You get the idea. I spent about 90 minutes adding grass to various areas for the photo and I could not stop myself. I am very happy that I finally finished this scene!

No comments:

Post a Comment