Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Look Back

I was organizing some family photos when I discovered a couple of pictures from Sep 2003 of the layout in the building stage. At the time, I had planned a large peninsula (about 4' x 8') to jut out from East McKeesport and add to the mainline length. This would wind around the pennisula then curve into the west staging yard. Below you can see the peninsula ready for a sheet of sub roadbed (pink insulation sheeting).
 I was considering building a large bridge to connect the two peninsulas following a prototype bridge across the Ohio River between Steubensville OH and Wierton WV parallel to Rt 22.  This would have provided a loop for continuous running but required either a lift out or present a duck under for the operators - less than ideal when following a train around the mainline from east to west staging.
In addition, the bridge would be a rather daunting modeling attempt for me. I still may do it, someday, when the layout grows and my skills improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment