Sunday, September 25, 2011

Benchwork Complete

Today, I attached the last fascia to the peninsula that represents Herminie PA and the Westmoreland Coal Company Mine No. 4. I put this last piece off for a while because I wanted the fascia to be contoured to match the hillside to the left of town. This hillside has developed with some help from Jack Newton and I think it's about as good as it will get. Yesterday I marked off the profile, got out the scroll saw, cut it and painted the board green.

While I was outside painting, I decided to give the B&O railroad bridge that crosses the PRR mainline just east of Irwin yard a coat of black. Most railroad bridges are black with varying degrees of rust and dirt. I like how it turned out for the most part but I ran out of spray paint and I need to touch up a couple of the beams. Also, it's a little shinier than I hoped and I still want to weather it to blend into the scenery. Once I complete this bridge and the PRR mainline area under it, I can complete the Vic's  Bait & Tackle scene. My plan is to have a B&O freight train heading away from the viewer so there will be a couple of cars and a B&O caboose on the bridge.

Here is how the scene looks right now. More progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment