Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Herminie Lighting & Shopping

I was very busy at the end of last week and over the weekend. First, I finally finished mounting all the lighting around the layout with the final valence place over the mine area in Herminie. Joey was a big help as we had to lift several 8-foot sections and hold them against the vertical supports, level the valence and quick clamp it so I could drill the holes for some drywall screws. There is not a dark spot on the layout now and I can't wait to finish painting the 10" masonite fascias sky blue and mounting them on the valences so you won't be able to directly see the lamps.
Also this weekend, we took a trip to Pittsburgh for my family reunion. We had a good time and, as I always try to do, I was able to stop at T&K Hobbies. I love this store! They have a huge inventory and very reasonable prices. Adam, Nicholas and I spent nearly an hour browsing around and came out with a collection of supplies for both their N-scale and my layouts including plastic scratch building supplies, trees, telephone poles, his & her outhouses (for behind Vic's Bait & Tackle), more J&L detail parts (see the blog post More Awesome Finds), Scenic Cement and an N-scale billboard. Nicholas was especially excited about working on the N-scale layout again and both of the boys want to learn how to run trains with Dad!

My immediate next project, besides the sky valence fascias, is to finish ballasting the layout and then building some more building mock-ups to help operators locate the businesses and drop off or pick up cars. I have a new operator, who also is named Eric, coming over tomorrow to learn how to run trains and I need to get the track and cars up to specs!

No comments:

Post a Comment