Saturday, October 15, 2011

Finishing a project

Below is a picture of my workbench from last night. This is the typical of my modeling work bench. In case you think you think it was hit by an errant missile from the twins Nir-Myss Ammunition Factory on the N Scale layout, this actually represents several started-but-yet-to-complete projects.


On the left, you actually see three different projects, stacked. On the bottom is a a collection of PRR books and a file folder of some notes on buildings and scenes I would like to reproduce. I need to load these details into the computer so I don't lose the ideas - would have been nice if I remembered to grab that folder before the last business trip! Next on the stack is some sheet styrene when I started to organize my scratch building supplies but quit in the middle because I could not come up with a better scheme. Next to them is some scale lumber I picked up this past week at Lyn's Junction in Lansdale PA.

On the cutting board, left to right, is a mockup building for West Staging; the front truck from an Athearn SW-9 waiting to be cleaned and the engine converted to DCC; another building mockup for West Staging, this time built from DPM plastic walls rather than foam board; the Chooch stone wall that will plug the tunnel entrance in Herminie; behind that is the drill and with the small cup hidden behind the buildings - I am making the barrier strip for Rt 30.

On the right are 2 box cars that need to be completely refitted with couplers and Intermountain wheelsets. These came from my old underbed layout and I found them in a drawer of "things-I-don't-know-what-I-will-do-with-these". On top is a car that happens to be a duplicate on the layout so I need to change the last 3 digits of the road number with decals. A tedious but 20 minute job that at this point is about 6 years in the making!

Scattered along the back are some park benches I started to paint, the fishermen Vic W. gave me for the Bait & Tackle Shop as soon as I finish the scenery there ... right after I finish the B&O bridge, Herminie Hill and ballasting the mainline! Further to the right is a wide variety of paint and supplies in a bewildering array of disorganization.

But hey, look at all the tools neatly arranged on my desk! I'll finish these projects in no time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment