Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Cables and Fast Clock

About a month ago, two of the Digitrax UP5 panels stopped working completely (under the P&LE Interchange in Herminie and under Vic's Bait & Tackle in Keystone Lake) and the infrared panel between these two was intermittent. Strangely, the other UP5 between these worked fine. This was a puzzle since the panels are daisy chained Uniontown -> Herminie -> Infrared -> E McKeesport -> Keystone. I checked all the cables to ensure they were tightly connected but still no luck.
Not sure if  I wrote it before, but  I created all the cables myself using a couple of telephone crimpers I had laying around. The challenge was the LocoNet cable is 6 wire and the crimpers were not that good. Still, I tested all the cables before installing and only used the ones that passed the test - meaning about 1/2 of what I made! I spent a week trying to figure out what went wrong and doing some research before I decided to buy the Digitrax LNCMK LocoNet Cable Maker Kit that comes with 50' of DCC tested cable and, more importantly, a good set of crimpers.
I ordered from DCC Train and it took a couple of weeks because it was on backorder. It came in right before Christmas but I did not get a chance to try it out until last night. I decided I would replace the cable between Uniontown and Herminie and see it that resolved the problem After I created the 3' long cable, I tested it and for the first time got all 4 lights solid green, instead of the flickering light or two on my original fabricated cables. Feeling good about this, I replaced the cable and now ALL of the panels are working again. YES! I plan to go back and replace all the wires with new ones.
Also yesteday, I remembered the that Digitrax throttles have the ability to set and display a fast clock. I was curious if I could run the schedule based on a fast clock and use that to build the time table. It worked really, really well and I may have to see about getting a Logic Rail Tech LocoNet Fast Clock to mount on the sky fascia above the peninsula.
Wonder if Bruce is ready to run trains on the clock?

No comments:

Post a Comment