Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Train Room Shelving

Sometimes, just stepping away from a problem for a while presents a solution. OK  sometimes I have to step away for a couple of weeks!

I want to put some shelves over the layout so I can hang the fluorescent lights and attach the fascia - basically frame the layout space - before I build the benchwork. Part of the reason is a need for storage above where I am working so that I can actually BUILD the benchwork. I have a high enough ceiling for 2 shelves and I was planning on using commercial shelves and brackets but realized that I could not mount the 4' lights under the bottom shelf. I was stumped until I thought about the grid tables I created for the old layout and realized if I create an 8" deep, 10 foot long grid of 1"x 2" or 3" lumber, I can secured that directly into the studs and lay the  bottom shelf on that, leaving about 4"-6" along the front underside of the shelf for the layout lighting. This could work ...
Book shelf over the layout that is strong but leaves room for  the florescent lights strips.

No comments:

Post a Comment