Monday, March 28, 2011

Vic's Bait & Tackle

Vic's Bait & Tackle was something new for me. I've built several Walthers and DPM plastic buildings and even built the LAS Fabrics Co. from DPM modular parts. Vic's is made of cardstock with a laminated a sample building from Model Train Software. Their Model Builder software allows you to create your own buildings with various simulated designs - brick, clapboard, masonry, etc. I downloaded their sample Bait & Tackle shop because I wanted to see how this would work for me since I want most of my buildings to be unique to my layout and not easily recognizable to veteran modelers.

As I was assembling the model, I began to consider where I would place this. I thought in the shadow of the  large B&O truss bridge that separates the active layout area from the east staging yard would be perfect. Through some careful scenery work, I could suggest a dirt road leading past the small shop on the way to Keystone State Park which was where my dad would take the family fishing.

I added a couple of details to the building. First, of course is the custom sign, after a great friend, co-worker, and of course, avid fisherman. Although I don't think Vic would be too excited about the pan fish and sunfish I recall in Keystone Park. He's more of a bass and salt water fisherman I believe. I added the 7-Up soda machine that my son, Joey, made fun of because I paid $4 for it. HA! It was 1/2 off when I paid that. It came with a 6 pack which I placed on the porch and a woman on a bench. Some scenery and maybe a row boat leaning against the building and it will look great!
I was all set to start the scenery work tonight, even though I did not get downstairs until after 9 PM. But apparently, I need to first mop up this puddle of water on the floor. Hmmmmm,

No comments:

Post a Comment