Saturday, February 12, 2011

Backdrops & Fascia, Part 1

Nothing like a coupon to motivate. A couple of weeks ago, I replaced the laundry tub that I broke last summer when we replaced the washing machine. Hey, I only had to move it 2" to fit the new washer - how was I to know the molded drain would crack. I hate plumbing projects! Anyway, Lowe's was kind enough to give us a coupon for $10 off our next purchase of $50 or more. Hmmm. I need masonite, 1x4s, some light fixtures, bulbs ... you get the idea. So the twins and I ran over to Lowe's and gathered some supplies. Loading 5 sheets of masonite over the van seats by myself is a story ... for another day.

The trick, I feel, is figuring out how tall to make the backdrop. This is something I have been wrestling with for some time now. Meaning 3 or more years. N-trak and HO modules use 24" as a standard and I still have the 24" x 48" board from my old module so I've had that up behind WCC Mine No. 4 for some time and it seemed just right. But lighting is a real issue in this corner of the basement. In the overview photos, there are only 2 direct lights on the layout, right over Irwin Yard, while East McKeesport and both staging yards are ... dim, shadowy, obscure, twilight ... you get the idea.

I need to keep the lighting pretty low wattage because all the train components, plus two work table lights, need to plug into 3 outlets. They are probably on the same circuit as the rest of the basement but I'll play ignorant for a while. I am not too worried about incandescent vs. florescent. I have some problems getting used to the compact florescent for reading but I've read other model railroaders use the GE Kitchen & Bath florescent bulbs with pretty good results. So I am going to place 4-foot, 2-bulb lights spaced 2 feet apart around the layout with a small fascia in front - painted sky blue of course - to provide the lighting.

I mention this because now 24" was too low. The lighting valence would be almost at eye level. So I mocked up a 30" skyboard (made Joey stand behind it and hold the 4' light strip!) Well, that was too high, you would see the bulbs under the valence. Aaaarrrrgggggggh. Five sheets of masonite sitting in the garage and me sitting on my hands. I decided today that I would rips 28" strips, give me a 4" area to fasten to the layout framwork and approximately 24" above the layout "ground". With a lighting valance about 4" tall ... more or less ... I think this will look about right.

Now the fascia in front of the layout ... 8" or 10". Aaaaaarggggggghhhhhh,

No comments:

Post a Comment