Sunday, August 16, 2015

C;lancy's Tavern

Recently, I was able to finish Clancy's Tavern. This is the Kelly's Saloon DPM kit which I had decided was the perfect fit for this spot on the layout. I happened to be working in Harrisburg when I decided this and found a local hobby shop that was mostly RC but they had some train items - including a single building kit. Kelly's Saloon!
Clancy's Tavern on the right
Generally, I like the DPM kits except they are a little on the rough side. I had to sand the edges of the side walls to get the kit square. I printed some colored signs (white on black background) for the Clancy's name on the front door - a favorite Dayton restaurant that I always take Lisa and the kids to. Actually, it's a running joke. "Where do you want to eat, Dad?" "How about Clancy's?" Great chicken wings.
Anyway, I wanted to put some life on the upper floor (eventually there will be interior lighting) and the DPM kit showed a dance studio, so I created a sign for Dinah's Dance Studio. The prototype is Dinah Mason's School Of Performing Dance, in Irwin PA, run by my cousin. I thought it was perfect for the second floor space.
The building on the left is another DPM kit and I am thinking it will have a Kay's Bookstore (for Mom) on the first floor, AK Public Relations (for Angie) and an apartment on the 3rd floor. Still mulling that.
Nearly finished corner scene
Once I had these two buildings in place, I just added a couple of sidewalks, a parking lot and started concentrating on adding the scenery for the hill supporting Rt 30 behind them. As you can see, the scene looks pretty nice. This took a little while to pull together but gives me hope that I can get the rest of the layout scenery down...eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment