Friday, May 9, 2014

May Update

Wow, May already...and it's almost over. A couple of challenges stymied my enthusiasm but I think I worked through them in my mine. First, the Irwin Yard. I placed some cork sheet down and had planned to have the yard slightly lower than the two mainlines passing through but I was concerned about both the grade and how to make it.I did some testing and discovered that 3 strips of N-scale cork (1 and 1/2 roadbed) would be just about the perfect height and would still leave the yard at a different elevation than the mainline with the surrounding ground higher. Sweet.
Next I laid some cork for East McKeesport but realized, once I laid a turnout on the mainline, that it was connecting with the mainline at too sharp an angle. Disappointing, but I was able to easily pull up the diverging cork and aligned it better. I love cork + white glue on extruded foam sub-roadbed. Below is a video of a test run on the new alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment