Friday, July 27, 2012

Options and Options

Bruce sent me a draft of a two level track plan that had some great ideas but a few limitations as well. I am afraid I will dither over the track plan for ages while I try and find the optimal arrangement for the dedicated space I have. I got two books for my birthday: Basic Model Railroad Benchwork and Designing & Building Multi-Deck Model Railroads that I hope will help with the planning but there are so many decisions:

  • Do I tackle 2 level layout with the challenges of bench height and a helix for a mainline run or settle for a simple, and short, point-to-point or continuous loop.
  • What givens do I need to sacrifice - operations, switching, continuous run, an interchange with P&LE, operating a P&LE train, east and west staging yards, etc. 
  • Since running trains is how I best stay interested in the hobby, what can I do to get something running quickly and reliably.
The new issue of Model Railroader has a track plan for Coloma Junction which is a 9' x 13' continuous loop that had a couple of interesting compromises especially on how to address the interchange - make it non operational. Instead of having a P&LE train come onto the visible layout, drop off/pick up cars from the interchange and service some sidings, just have an interchange track with the drop off cars waiting for the PRR to exchange. Sort of like another siding. I sort of wanted to be able to run a P&LE engine (Bachman has a nice Alco S-4 that even has sound!) but I can live without it if makes things too difficult. 

Trying to work all these ideas and THEN I have to try and actually draft it in a track plan which is NOT working out. So, I gave in and instead added some shelves in the room for my books and magazines.
Well, at least that worked out well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment