Thursday, January 28, 2016

More Hills

In my last post, I talked about how Bruce and I were collaborating and bouncing ideas off each other. In particular, we were focusing on the far right corner of the layout that is relatively bare and I had no idea how to scenic. Bruce later emailed some thoughts:

  • Use a different color of ballast on the farthest track to make it look like a separate right of way (like track from a different RR company or a branch line). 
  • Extend the E. McKeesport backdrop to curve around the corner in front of the farthest track, with the scene changing from city to country - may require removing the elevated track on the bridge
  • Shape a piece of foam about 2" high to fit between the two rearmost tracks and also between the farthest track and the corner (as you did on the opposite corner of the layout) and scenic to simulate a cut & fill. 
  • Put a road in front of the farthest track and use a series of closely-spaced Burma-Shave billboards to hide the rear track (Maybe this idea is a little goofy).
  • Build an embankment or a hill in front of the rear track about 6" high; tall enough to hide the trains. Leave the top open for access.

I thought all the ideas were rather creative. I did not want to remove the bridge (I love the trestle bridge there) and since the track is curved with hand throws at either end I did not want to cover it in a tunnel or below an access hatch. So the 3rd bullet, the track hidden in a cut really appealed.
Initial mockup to hide the corner
I cut some of the remaining insulation foam that I had lying around and ended up with hills 3" high in front and behind the "cut in the hill" next to the bridge. In fact, I think there will be a lower cut in front of the closest hill to add more shape to the scene. I placed the only background scene I own behind this and really liked how its starting to look - although I want the background to show cut rock faces.
Stepping back (to Uniontown) to take in the scene
Looks like Bruce will be other this weekend so I expect this scene to really get fleshed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment