Sunday, May 9, 2010

Switchthrows

Some time ago I decided that I wanted to use the Caboose Industries instead of switch machines because I liked the idea of pausing the train, taking the time to manually switch the track. I found an excellent article some time ago that showed an excellent way to install the throw rod and make it look realistic. I installed about 10 or so of the devices over a couple weeks but gave up because (1) it was a bit tedious and (2) I needed more Caboose Industries 202S switch throws.

A couple weeks back I finally bought the last 5 that I needed (perfect 5 pack order). Yesterday I decided part of my problem was using too thin wire (I think it's .025" but it may be smaller) so I got some .032" from the hardware store and last night started installing the remaining devices. Well, first I had to repair 2 or 3 that had fallen apart but I got on a roll and ... ta da! ... installed all 28 by the end of the night. One I had to glue the connecting rod (I *love* super glue) and I let it sit over night but today all the switch throws are installed.

I painted all the stands white to help them show up against the background and I think I might add a red target when it's thrown counter to normal .. so when the normal is straight and it's set to curve.

What's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment